They are bringing revolutionary and unrelenting change (i.e. Uber, driverless cars, Airbnb, drone deliveries, workplace diversity, etc.)
Millennials @ over 50% of the workforce!….R U ready?….R your managers????
A reality within 5 years according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.
We know Millennials turnover more frequently than employees in other generations. To prepare, companies are focusing on “things” (new employee tracking systems, updating their ob descriptions, reviewing their benefits packages, etc.). All important, but are they missing an important part of the equation – the human factor. Managers are the keys to the company’s continued success.
To gain a competitive advantage – focus on giving your hiring managers updated strategic tools.
Note: The standard hiring and/or onboarding training programs are not enough. (see below for couple of ideas).
Maybe Millennials are Right….Yes, I Actually Just Said That….
Please read before you think I’m crazy. Stop and think about your career. Did you suffer in silence for a couple of years with a horrible boss or were you stuck in a dead end job. Millennials are much more vocal and far less patient. And, if they don’t like something they leave. They are saying “Validate me as an employee or lose me as an employee.”
Too many managers dismiss them as “pampered and spoiled.” Certainly, they’re not 100% right, and there are numerous examples where they should have been far more professional. Again, thinking about your career – weren’t you more engaged and productive when you were appreciated by the company and your boss? Millennials have a lot to learn, but maybe mangers need to also make a few changes. Managing and developing talent in an environment of constant turnover will be increasingly difficult. Successful mangers in the future will adapt to a head coach mentality where turnover is always high, but they are still responsible for fielding a winning team.
We can’t stop change, but we can change how we react to it!
Here are a couple of ideas to help you:
1. Job Descriptions:
- Only Manage Change – Only reflect job requirements, education, experience and duties – nothing strategic on them
- Gain a Competitive Advantage – include a “Job Outlook” form (with signature) to capture the manager’s strategic thoughts about the open position before the hiring process begins (i.e. biggest challenges, reason for the opening, potential changes in the next 2 -4 years, 1,3 and 6 month expectation goals, etc.) Now, with new updated forms carry this strategic information through the interviewing and final hiring decision. Benefit: More managerial ownership for their hiring decisions.
2. Candidate Matching
- Only Manage Change – Job Fit (match a candidate to a job opening)
- Gain a Competitive Advantage – Culture Fit = Job Fit + Team Fit + Manager Fit Benefit: More engaged workforce.
3. Manager’s View of Employee Turnover
- Only Manage Change – managers say “that’s just the way Millennials are.”
- Gain a Competitive Advantage – teach managers to think like head coaches. Why? Because they are always dealing with high turnover yet are responsible for fielding a winning team. Isn’t that what you want? Benefit: Managers look at turnover as an opportunity to increase talent in their area.
We have a lot more ideas to help managers make hiring their competitive advantage.
How can we help you? ………Call today
We offer a confidential, FREE 30 Minute Consultation to discuss your specific needs>>